First things first, the saw bench is COMPLETE!
My cheating is not as bad as it sounds. I would have to say that this bench was built 95% by hand. When I decided that I would use dowels for the joinery, in the back of my mind I figured I’d use a drill. I don’t have a brace at the moment and I really wanted this done so I’m completely fine with having used the drill. I did buy a brace and some augers on eBay which will be here this week but like I said, I really wanted to finish this project.
The dowels were made with a Lie-Nielsen dowel plate at 3/8″.
I love this little thing. I have to say that although I enjoy the contrast of red oak and padauk, running the padauk through the dowel plate may not be the best choice of woods. I had about 5 dowels bust on me. I wasn’t really concerned about making everything beautiful and perfect due to the fact that this is just shop gear.
Once the holes were drilled, the dowels were inserted
and repeated for all 16 pieces.
Nothing was measured, marked or centered. After they were all set, I did do some spot smoothing with a #4 over the dowels just to clean them up.
Next was testing it out!
Whether there is a right or wrong way to actually use the bench, I found at the moment, this way was more comfortable. For a longer board, of course I would switch my position 90° but I like hooking my foot to the back of the bench vs letting it hang for this shorter board.
After a few cuts, things were feeling and looking pretty good since I was cutting pretty square
I’m really happy with the way everything turned out and I definitely learned A LOT. Thanks for all the feedback and following along. Next is sharpening my saws so I can get some real use out of this bad boy!
Comments and feedback are more than welcome.